Monday, January 21, 2008

The most depressing day of the year?


Ok, so here's what I was not doing this past weekend, but it's still a nice picture to look at anyway. A year ago, we were in Mexico, staying in a suite with a view of the beach, we had a hammock on our balcony, and these were my feet. It was January, it was in the 80's, and it was pre-adoption. Coming up on February 2nd is our one year mark of this journey, but it all seems to have gone pretty fast.
Instead of being in Mexico today, I am at home. It is 12 degrees outside with a light snow. Russ and I spent Saturday night at the Leid Lodge in picturesque, small-town, Nebraska (it was my new thing for the week). It was lovely: a lot of timber and fireplaces, that whole log cabin feel. Being January, it was very cold outside with a lot of snow on the ground. Over dinner, I sort of pretended that we were some place much further away instead of 45 minutes from home. Hey, it isn't Mexico, but I had to be somewhere, I guess. I think we just needed a little time away to do something different, but to also escape the everyday realities around here. Maybe everyone needs that from time to time. Today I went to a meeting at work (my old job, not the new one) and was asked no less than 5 times about our adoption process, all within a span of only a few minutes. On my own, I can deal with being childless and trying to process an international adoption that feels like it is taking 100 years. It's just when I am bombarded with questions about it and the answer is always the same that it starts to bug me. The bright outlook that I started the day with is lessened somehow. I know. I shouldn't let it get to me. And people are only asking because they care. I simply want, one of these days, to have a different answer. I want the answer to be that, yes, I do know something! Am I harping on this? I do know that I have some friends that have heard me speak of this enough. They now approach me tentatively, with a pained look on their face, almost a grimace, perhaps. Then, they slowly come out with "is it OK if I ask....?" I know they do not want to offend. I don't think there are many people who do. It's just hard sometimes, that's all.
P.S. This is a downer post! Maybe, it should just be disregarded after reading, or maybe it fits: I heard on the news that today was considered by researchers to be The Most Depressing Day of the Year. Well, tomorrow is a new day....

0 comments:


  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP