Friday, November 27, 2015

Yesterday was our first Thanksgiving here in our house and our first Thanksgiving with JQ. What a memorable time! He really enjoyed the holiday, even though I don't think he totally got the concept. I tried to explain to him a little bit about it, but most of it was very new.

We have been busy preparing for Thanksgiving as well as doing many other things on this homestead. There was also an ice storm yesterday, so we were getting our house ready as well. Even last week, we still had temperatures in the 60s, which is rare for us this late in November. Ice is difficult to navigate, but at least it feels more like the Thanksgiving and Christmas seasons now.

We did some small projects related to Thanksgiving, which were a lot of fun. Our thankful tree was made of hand cut outs and my poor attempt to fashion a trunk out of construction paper. It still worked, what does it matter? The kids each traced their hands, cut them out, and then wrote something they are thankful for on each hand.

We also made Rice Krispies turkeys, which we have made in the past. For some reason, this year, they were more difficult and they wouldn't stay together. Does it really matter? No. Gather four kids around cookies, Rice Krispies treats, candy corn, and chocolate, and that is all you need. They would eat globs of the stuff just stuck together. Actually, so would I. They sort of looked like turkeys when we were done. What mattered was the time together.






Last weekend, we went to a Lego display at a nearby hobby store. Have I mentioned that my kids love Legos? I should mention that. It's not really uncommon anymore--Lego's have grown to be a huge industry again with their themes, the movie, and their wonderlands in various parts of the world. A nearby Lego user group (of grown ups--apparently, you don't really outgrow the love) built a bunch of magnificent displays that were free for the public to view. We weren't the only ones ogling these huge and intricate designs made entirely out of Lego's. A downtown street. Several large models of R2-D2. A U-boat. Our state capitol (!). There was a lot. And there were tons of people there--a lot of kids--because my kids are not the only Lego lovers in town. It was really neat.




So now, it is the Christmas season and today is black Friday for some. We don't participate. I don't believe in it. That is all. I could probably get some good deals and save some money now that I have four kids to buy presents for, but it isn't worth it to me. And today in particular, I am sitting by my living room window and it is covered in ice, which has been there since sometime yesterday afternoon. Combine that with trying to drive into the nearby city to battle the crowds....nah. I am just going to get a cup of coffee and sit here. Because I can, and it's good. I'm thankful for that.

0 comments:


  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP