Tuesday, July 3, 2007

First

I started this because there is much that I want to say, but my hand goes into a cramp if I try to write all the details. So, instead, it will be here. Here, where I can add pictures, and talk too much, and give more detail to life. Hopefully, this could become something that others can share in as we move through this journey of family.
Russ and I will be married 3 years in October. It's been great. Really! It's so weird to think that, so many years ago when I met him, that I would ever come to know him so well. He's a great guy, my soul mate, really. I think God whispered to me once a long time ago that he was the one, and then we proceeded to wait seven more years before actually tying the knot. Ok, so it was due to circumstances, but that's another story.
Since the beginning of time, well, maybe just the past three years, people have been asking us when we are going to have kids. It's a rite of passage, really. When you are single, you are bugged about who you are dating. When you're dating, you are pestered about when you are getting married. And when you are married, you are harassed about when you will start having kids. Who are these people who have the liberty to ask so many questions?! Does it ever end? Will I someday be hounded about when I'm going to die?
Well, now I have the answer! Mostly. At least a plan is in place. This one has very promising results, so I can tell people that we are adopting. That is how we are starting our family. Russ and I have decided to adopt a child from China, our first child. I am so excited about this prospect, and yet, I'm afraid to really get my hopes up too much in case something devastating happens. You never know. Mostly, I think I just don't want to dream and wish and hope and then... be very disappointed. But how can that be? Perhaps I will someday look back at this time and know I didn't know what I was getting myself into at all. But in a good way.
We initially chose China because we qualified for their program, it was (is) a stable program, and we have a definite interest in Asian culture. I so want to be able to teach my son or daughter about their heritage. I hope I can do it well and not give a poor example. Russ and I are already trying to learn some Mandarin. I can only imagine how we must have sounded listening to the tapes in the car on our way back from Missouri recently and shouting phrases out without much idea if we were pronouncing anything correctly. I know there is so much that I don't know anyway, and I wonder how much I will be able to teach our child and what to give. We started out on track with picturing a little Chinese girl, but I think at this point we are opening ourselves up to more. With my medical background, I have an understanding of some medically correctible special needs a child might have. I guess I don't feel the need to push for a "healthy" child when there are other kids waiting who also need homes and who have conditions that some parents would not want. What child who is being adopted internationally isn't "special needs"?
I am so excited about this prospect. Russ and I have pre-applied with two agencies who will have new groups coming out this summer. We are hoping for either a girl or a boy, it doesn't matter. If we get a referrral, in other words, if we want to pursue the adoption of a particular child, we will send our dossier to be logged in in China, and wait for their acceptance of us as parents. Hopefully, we will be deemed Ok. If we are, we wait until we are approved to travel and then we make arrangements to go! The process is approximately 6-8 months after the match is made. We could be going to China early next year! Maybe. OK, here's me still not getting my hopes up. But, I am still dreaming about who this little person will be, and meeting them for the first time. That's something to get excited about.
Our neighbors have been shooting fireworks most of the afternoon. Fortunately, our beagle, Owen, doesn't seem to notice. It will be his first 4th of July, and I didn't want to have to put him on sedatives. To close, I will add a picture of him in his cuteness.

0 comments:


  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP