Thursday, July 19, 2007

Stuff

It's already Thursday, and I'm just getting around to posting what we've done for the past week. There's been quite a few things going on.
First, I have a job interview tomorrow! I don't know if that is an exclamation of happiness or nervousness. Probably a little of both. It's a school nurse position, which I don't really have much experience with. We did do some work in the schools when I was still in nursing school, but my current work is pretty much nothing like this potential job. So, I have spent the afternoon preparing myself for the interview questions and trying to find some type of bridge between what I do now and why that means I could be a school nurse. Nursing has become so specialized that it isn't a matter of just switching jobs--heck, I haven't cared for an adult patient in years. While I probably haven't forgotten everything, there is still alot about me that isn't qualified to just jump into a new position. At least, not without some training. Anyway, I'm very excited about this prospect, and I'm nervous because I haven't been to an interview in five years. I definitely need some practice. Maybe a role play is in order....
The only thing about this that maybe doesn't make sense is that I don't know how this works with our adoption. I know I have stressed about this part more than a little. I just don't want to start a new job and then take three months off right away for family leave. Somehow, that doesn't seem quite right. And yet, there still isn't a child in the picture (yet--I'll get to that in a minute) so I can't say for sure what will happen. How can I base my decisions on something I don't even know yet? Right? So, the answer: go to the interview.
As far as the adoption is concerned, we have made a little progress this week. When we came home from our vacation, there was a letter in the mail from the Department of Homeland Security. Even though receiving such a letter sounds a little unnerving, we were very excited. You see, part of the process of international adoption is applying to bring an orphan into the U.S. This is handled by the Department of Homeland Security. We filed this form in May, hoping it would be a short process. This is one area that has the potential to delay the whole adoption process because it is unkown how long it will take to attend to our application. Wait a minute, I've just described every action we've tried during this entire adoption process! Delays! It's one of the only guarantees we are given during this. Ok, anyway, we applied for this deal in May and the form is the I-600A. After sending it in (along with a check and a receipt to track the process through FedEx) we wait until they notify us to come in to be fingerprinted for a background check. When notified of the fingerprint appointment, it is best to take it, no matter when it is. Who knows when there could be another. You don't want to provoke the Department of Homeland Security by calling and trying to reschedule around something else, say for instance, your job. You work it out. So, our fingerprint appointment is for early August and we will be there. After that, we wait for the follow up approval form (the I-171H) which will be sent on to China. We really didn't know how long this would take, so we are excited to be able to continue this part. It's a pretty big step for us right now.
On another note, we spent last weekend out west visiting my good friend Kris, and we stayed with her family. Her parents are some of the most hospitable people I've known. They treated us like family--or maybe even better at times. They were great to be around. I like to visit her hometown and go to the usual spots. And, this particular weekend, there was Oregon Trail Days in town, so we were able to eat, drink, and have fun. We even went to the midway one night, but I didn't get any pictures of Russ on the carnival rides.

We attended the international food festival, where there were many different choices of entrees. After sorting through our options of Chinese, Mexican, Mediterranean, or turkey legs, we decided on German brats. This isn't mine, though, I don't go for the saurkraut.

We did hit one of the beer gardens, this one located at the Union Bar, or the west side of the establishment, appropriately called the Western Union. It was a good time to hang out with Kris and just catch up on everything that's been going on.

The diner where we had breakfast Saturday morning. Apparently, the owners are racing fans. You can actually go in and order "the usual" and they know what you are talking about! (Ok, so not for someone like me, a visitor, but you know what I mean). I tend to think it is one of the simple pleasures of small town life.

0 comments:


  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP