Friday, July 27, 2007

Our son!

The answer was yes!
I can't believe it, we finally got the news and it is good! Wednesday, our agency called to tell us that we have been matched with a little boy that we petitioned for. When they called and verified who we were, their first words were, "I'm calling to tell you that you have a son." A son! Us! It's still a bit surreal right now.
We had put a petition in on Monday, knowing that there were probably other families also petitioning at the same time. On Wednesday, our agency's placement team had to make a decision for each child that received a petition from a potential family. We did put in for both a boy and a girl, knowing that we would only be matched with one, if we were matched at all. As I've probably said, I seriously believed that we would not be matched at all, and I was waiting all day for the phone call. They didn't call until 5:30. I pretty much didn't leave the house that day, simply because I didn't want to take the chance that I would miss the call. No matter that they also had both of our cell numbers and my work number in case we weren't home. But I wasn't willing to risk it. By the time 5:25pm had rolled around, Russ was home from work, I had cabin fever from being inside all day, and both of us thought we had been forgotten. After all, it was almost 5:30pm and we figured their office had closed. We were prepared for the answer to be no, but not prepared to wait in limbo with no answer at all! Maybe they lost our paperwork? Maybe they forgot to call because they were too busy with other ecstatic parents and we were swept under the rug? Who knows. It was a long afternoon until the phone finally rang.
We have been matched--or, approved to adopt--a little boy in China named Wu. He was abandoned right after birth and has been living in foster care ever since. He is almost 11 months old, and he has a cleft lip and palate. We have already spoken with a pediatrician about a plan of care for treatment of it, and, while there can be alot of potential work to be done, it's not that big of a deal. I'm going to be a proud parent for a moment here and say, he is adorable! I don't even see the cleft when I look at his picture because I know that he is ours and that is all that matters. I can't wait to pick him up and bring him home. That is the next question: we don't know when it will be. We are hoping maybe a couple of months, but again, there is the paperwork factor. We will be sending our dossier to China after we have our fingerprint appointment in August. With this is also a letter of intent (LOI) that states we would be happy to adopt Wu and what we plan to do to care for him. We then wait until they tell us we can go and pick him up, which usually takes a little while. This is all in a nutshell, of course. I suppose I will find out more details as this progresses. I'm actually ok with waiting a little bit because we have nothing for him right now. Our "nursery" has sat empty for two years, and not even painted since we've moved in. Without knowing who or what we would end up with for a family, I didn't buy anything. Crib or toddler bed? Diapers or pull-ups? Pink or blue? I guess I also didn't want the room to be completed and then sit there empty for two years. That would be enough to drive me into a depression for sure.
But now we know. Our little Wu will soon be here (with a new name as well). I'm so excited! I will post pictures after we have been officially approved from China.

0 comments:


  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP